Thursday 12 November 2015

The Next Together

Title: The Next Together
Author: Lauren James
Publisher: Walker Books
Published: 2015
Format: Paperback
Source: My own copy

Katherine and Matthew meet, fall in love and change the course of history, again and again, with one or both dying in the process. So what do they need to do to break the cycle? 'The Next Together' covers four of these meetings during the siege of Carlisle in 1745, the Crimean War in 1854, 2019 and 2039. They play a vital role in preventing catastrophes, but why do they keep being born over and over again and who is controlling their lives?

The book jumps back and forth through time, but it is easy to keep track because a different font is used for each period and the time and place is listed at the start of each chapter. I really liked the fonts used because they fitted the period described. I could open the book at any page and know immediately where Katherine and Matthew were in time. The story is told in the third person for the most part, but for 2019 hand written notes, texts and emails between the two allow the reader to eavesdrop on what is happening. It was interesting to see the part that changing technology played throughout and to consider how different the story would be if that technology had been available in the earlier periods. Lauren James has clearly researched the historical periods thoroughly, but hasn't allowed herself to be obsessed with accuracy at the expense of a good story.

I loved this book, the idea is brilliant and I was kept gripped to the end. And what an ending, the very last page opened up a whole new line for the story to follow. I found myself thinking, 'oooh does that mean what I think it does?' It also hinted at other periods that are still to be covered. I am really looking forward to the sequel 'The Last Beginning' coming out to find out if my ideas are correct, although I'm not sure if I can wait a whole year.